Designed by Audrey, this salad is monochromatic green and combines delicious ingredients that all happen to be the same color. Love the creamy avocado and the fresh homemade dressing. Whip this up even at the last moment as a side for any meal.
Recipe: All Green Salad
Prep Time: 8 Minutes | Cook Time: 0 Minutes | Yield: 2 servings | Level: Easy
- 8-12 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
1 Design this all green salad by draping 2-3 whole leaves of lettuce on each of 4 salad plates. Use rectangle shaped dishes if you’ve got them because they fit the shape of the long lanky leaves.
2 Divide the other ingredients into fourths and arrage over the lettuce.
3 Whip the vinaigrette sauce ingredients with a fork at a good speed to emulsify into a smooth dressing. Drizzle a tablespoon or so over each salad and savor the freshness and crunch.
Romaine Lettuce – This salad is best when you use the middle leaves. The outside are often not quite tender enough for this ‘all green’ salad and the leaves near the core are too small for the sweeping design of lettuce sun bathing on the plates.
- Exchange Romaine for green or red leaf lettuce.
- Exchange or add other green veggies such as celery, green pepper or spinach.
- Add some fresh finely chopped tarragon to the dressing.
- Exchange white for red or apple cider vinegar in the dressing
Inspiration – Audrey Bastian
Cook with Sauces
Written: by Helen Horton
Photographs: by Helen Horton
Updated: April 23, 2012