Salsa is a paradox. Ingredients contradict each other—sweet soft fruit like mangos and tomatoes against pungent crunchy vegetables like onions and jalapenos. It’s like the diversity in my neighborhood in Washington, DC. People hail from countries all around the globe who are colorful and exciting, adding interest and diversity to the mix. It’s definitely not vanilla.
For a diversion from mashed potatoes, risotto or polenta with your pork, try a colorful, exciting salsa with fresh fruit and some jalapeno heat. It adds sparkle and dash to the palette of pork. Make ample amounts to provide hearty portions. The salsa doubles as a delicious salad plus the sauce for the pork. Spear a bite of pork and pile on some salsa so each mouthful is an explosion of flavors. I really love this!
4 1/2-thick Pork Chops
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Cut the fruits and vegetables in the same size dice, just under 1/2-inch or so. Combine the mango, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapenos in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Serve pork chops with a generous serving of salsa on the side.
• Exchange mangos for fresh peaches or papaya.
• Exchange fresh jalapenos for pickled jalapenos.
• Exchange cilantro for parsley or omit.
sauces over under and through