Hold the phone!!! The light and airy whipped frosting is so good that people don’t notice how good the moist pumpkin cupcake is. Sigh! Carefully chosen for its perfect balance of the season’s cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger, the cupcake is also speckled with petite chocolate chips. A knock off of the soft and spicy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookie, this one has a lighter texture.
It begs the question. When choosing a frosting for a cupcake, does one select the most amazing frosting to complement the cupcake? Or should the confection topping be just short of perfect rendering the cupcake the complete center of attention? Alas! With the first bite, everyone immediately comments on the delicious frosting and how light and fluffy it is. But make no mistake, no one stops at the frosting.
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla
1 15-oz can Pumpkin
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Flour
1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips, plus a few extra for garnish
1. Whisk the 2 cups flour, baking powder, soda, spice and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. With mixer running add eggs one at a time. Add the pumpkin beating until blended.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture just until blended.
5 . Mix the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon flour then add to the cupcake mixture and combine.
6. Line 2 cupcake pans with cupcake papers and fill each 3/4 full of batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until top springs back when tested. Cool in pan for 3 or 4 minutes then on rack.
7. In the meantime in a small sauce pan, combine the flour and milk over medium heat. Whisk continually until it thickens.
9. In a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars for a couple of minutes until it is well combined and fluffy.
10. Add the thickened milk mixture and the vanilla and beat on the highest speed for 7-9 minutes. The frosting will become fluffy and creamy as it nears the end of the beating process.
11. Frost the cooled cupcakes mounded high with the fluffy frosting. Store leftovers at room temperature. Add a few chocolate chips on the top for garnish.
• Exchange brown and white sugar combo for all white or white and light brown.
• Exchange mini chocolate chips for regular size chips or omit.
sauces over under and through