One thumb down makes this a two thumbs up confection. Making the little crater for the jam is the most fun part of designing this shortbread cookie. The outside is coarsely covered with nuts for crunchy texture. The egg white glaze yields shellac-like shine that glistens in holiday lights. Vary the colors and flavors with a kaleidoscope of jams or jellies.
Red’s—strawberry, cherry, raspberry
Green’s—jalapeno, kiwi, green tomato
Royal’s—blackberry, boysenberry and blueberry
Golden’s—apricot, pineapple, peach
1. With a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
3. Add the vanilla and salt to the egg yolks and combine. Add yolk mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
4. Add the flour 1 cup at a time beating after each addition.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes. Cool on rack. Place 1 teaspoon of jam in the center of each cookie.
• Use two or three flavors of jam for a festive flourish.
• Exchange walnuts for pecans.
• Exchange sugar for light brown sugar.
Inspiration—Saucy Cuisine Kitchen
sauces over under and through