Bite size pillows of potato pasta feature in this Italian dish. The tomatoes and beans drink in the flavorful chicken and tomato-y sauce and seasonings. Since gnocchi is frequently served dressed in cream sauce, this is an atypical and healthy diversion. The Italian tomatoes speed the prep and add well balanced seasoning. It’s a one dish meal that cooks up in half an hour, hearty and light at the same time. Recently I served it for a ladies supper with some crusty garlic bread. It was a hit.
2011 AniversaRecipe—Italian White Bean and Ham Soup
Recipe: Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Olive Oil, divided
1 16-oz pkg Gnocchi
1 medium Onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 5-0z pkg Baby Spinach, about 6 cups
1 15-oz can Diced Tomatoes with Italian Seasonings
1 15-oz can Cannellini Beans
1/4 tsp freshly ground Pepper
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan Cheese
2. Add 1 teaspoon oil and onion
to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and chicken broth. Cover and cook until onion is soft, about 4-6 minutes.
3. Add spinach and cook 1-2 minutes or until it starts to wilt.
5. Sprinke with cheeses. Cover and cook until melted and the sauce is bubbly, about 3 minutes.
• Exchange baby spinach for chopped swish chard or regular spinach.
• Exchange tomatoes with Italian seasonings for plain tomatoes but add 1/2 tsp sweet basil, plus a dash each of oregano, garlic powder and thyme.
• Exchange cannellini beans for other white beans such as navy or great northern.
• Exchange Monterrey Jack for mozzarella.
sauces over under and through