Eat broccoli in cheese
I started making Broccoli and Cheese Soup in the mid-eighties in Okinawa, thanks to my friend Cheryl. She shared a pot of soup to feed my family when I was quite ill. The kids loved it so I requested the recipe. It cooks up in about 20 minutes so a hungry kid or hungry anyone doesn’t have to wait long for a warm bowl of soup on a cold winter evening. A great way to eat broccoli, it has a cheesy sauce and some tender noodles. Serve some fresh fruit and a roll and everyone is happy and well fed.
2011 AniversaRecipe—Homemade Chocolate Frosting
Recipe: Broccoli and Cheese Soup
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup chopped Onion
1 small clove Garlic, minced
3 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups uncooked Curly Noodles
1 10-oz pkg Chopped Broccoli, thawed
2 cups Milk
1/2 lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat oil and add onion. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add broth and heat to boiling. Add noodles and boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
3. Stir in broccoli and cook 4 minutes, stir occasionally.
4. Add milk and cheese, cook until cheese melts, stirring constantly.
5. Adjust for salt and pepper. Serve in bowls with rolls or cornbread, if desired.
• When doubling, 1 16-oz package of chopped broccoli is enough.
• Exchange garlic for a pinch of garlic powder added with broth.
• Exchange curly noodles for flat noodles.
Inspiration—Cheryl, friend I knew in Japan
sauces over under and through