Baked potato skins
A rustic soup with fragments of baked potato skins, this hearty soup concentrates the flavor of the potato in the baking process. Add smoky bacon, rich stock, a wisp of cheese and you have this comfortable bowl of pottage. If you bake the potatoes in advance the rest works up in 25 minutes. The dish is reminiscent of a bacon and cheese baked potato but served in a bowl.
2011 AniversaRecipe—Italian and White Bean Soup
Recipe: Baked Potato and Bacon Soup
4 medium Russet Potatoes, about 2 ½ lbs
4 thick slices Bacon, diced
2 cups Onion, diced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 Bay Leaf
1 ½ cups Chicken Broth
3 cups Milk
½ cup Half & Half
1 Tbsp chopped fresh Parsley
1/4 cup sliced Green Onion
1/2 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2. In the meantime, cook bacon in a large pot until crisp, about 5 minutes.
3. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf and sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add broth and deglaze the pan. Add milk and potatoes. Bring to boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in Half & Half and parsley.
7. Serve in bowls garnished with grated cheddar and sliced green onion.
fridge until you are ready to make this soup.
• Exchange Half & Half for heavy cream or milk depending on desired richness.
• Cook two extra strips of bacon and reserve to garnish with the cheddar and green onion.
• Omit parsley.
• When doubling the recipe, one bay leaf is sufficient.
sauces over under and through